energy audit

Where to start...

Irregardless of whether you are a homeowner, commercial property owner, or industrial property owner the first thing you need to do is perform an energy audit of your facility and installed equipment. Gather all your energy bills for the previous two years or so (the more the better) so you can see how, where and when you are spending your money. Identify what equipment is installed and what is inefficient in technology or in how it's being used (In other words, buying a high-efficiency gas furnace is of no real benefit to you if your windows are cracked and the walls in the building have no insulation).

The main areas and types of energy you use can include Electricity, Water, Propane or Natural Gas, Petroleum (Gasolene, Diesel, Kerosene, Heating Oil) and some other overlooked items such as Waste Heat energy (exhaust/flue gases, waste-water), compressed air and steam.

Typical Energy use in the home.

70% of all your energy used is for heating and cooling or either air or water. Energy sources used in each 'activity' vary by location, building age and construction or commercial industry served. The other 30% of energy consumed is comprised mostly of electricity for running the appliances, pumps, fans, lighting and electronics.

Now that you've identified the 'what/where/how' of your energy use. Concentrate on improving the areas of greatest return on investment first (Get the "best bang for your buck"). A combination of solutions and overall approach is the right way to go about it. Do you have a hunt camp or cottage with no power? A "hybrid system" such as CHP (Combined Heat and Power) can provide hot water and generate enough electrical power for your lights and appliances while you are there.

Growes Industries offers many sustainable energy solutions and products to meet your specific application.